Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Harrisburg and the West Shore, Pennsylvania, USA

Today is the 10th anniversary of Geographically Yours. At one picture per day, that amounts to over 3,600 photographs, all taken by me. To celebrate, I am posting a few favorite pictures from high school: pictures that I thought captured each moment well, pictures taken as slides on a Kodak Instammatic. [1968 and 1969]

THE BACKSTORY ~ Posted on the 10th Anniversary of Geographically Yours, 4 August 2020: By the time I got to high school, cameras were cheap enough to be affordable, and I was old enough to be responsible. Some of my first photos are posted here. They reflect the advantages of growing up in Central Pennsylvania. East of where I lived was the state capitol which offered performance art on a regular basis. West of where I lived were the great outdoors, which offered places to walk, to camp, and to hike, places where you might find a hillside spring proffering a cool drink. The performance art at the capitol was usually political. It was good theater whether or not you liked the politics (and I didn’t); I just enjoyed the idea that I could get close enough to a political candidate to take his picture, right there on the front steps of the capitol, right near the spot where my grandfather and I used to feed the squirrels on the capitol grounds. In the other direction were the woods in Rossmoyne, the meadows along the Yellow Breeches Creek, and, yes, those springs. Where this one was, I have long forgotten! Whether alone (which I was in two of the pictures) or with friends, I discovered how much fun it was to document the people and places of my world, a world that would gradually expand from Central Pennsylvania to six of the seven continents and four of the five oceans. You can see my world, as documented in Geographically Yours on the map below. D.J.Z.


No comments:

Post a Comment